How is your health in general? Do you consume a well-balanced diet? How often do you exercise? Do you drink enough water daily? How is your sleep? Are you living a healthy lifestyle?
The saying “our body is our temple” may be a cliché but it is true. In order to enjoy a healthy lifestyle, one must take care of himself. According to statistics, a staggering 70% of the American population is obese or overweight. Imagine your body as your physical vessel that takes you through life every day. If you repeatedly live an unhealthy lifestyle, your vessel will deteriorate over time. While you look fine outside, arterial plaque and cholesterol are already gobbling up your arteries on the inside.
Do not deprive yourself of living a beautiful life by bogging yourself down with unnecessary health dilemmas. Your vital organs may be working today, but they may cease to function tomorrow. Do not take your health for granted and make sure it is always in its top shape.
Eating a well-balanced diet and exercise are not the only factors to consider when talking about good health. It also includes having a positive mindset and healthy lifestyle. This article will provide you with 45 life-changing tips to help you live a healthier life.
1. Drink more water. Water is an indispensable aspect of human life. Approximately 60% of the human body is made up of water. In order for the body to carry out its major functions like removing wastes, carrying oxygen and nutrients throughout the body, etc., you need a steady supply of fluids. The human body is also designed to release liquids through perspiration, bowel movements, and urination. In order to replenish the liquids that our body secretes, we need to drink more water.
Moreover, drinking water is also beneficial to weight loss. According to a study conducted by Health.com among overweight people, it showed that those who drank more water were able to shed 4.5 more pounds compared to a control group. The reason behind this according to the researchers is that drinking more water can help fill the stomach, thus, reducing the urge of overeating. When you don’t consume enough water, the body tends to retain whatever water your body has. This leads to a considerable amount of increase in your weight. Whereas, when drinking water on a regular basis, your body will get a steady supply of fluids. So, there is no need for it to retain more water.
There are several factors to consider when accounting for the amount of water that a human body needs. The person’s weight, physical activity, and humidity are just some of the gauging factors you need to consider when drinking water. Generally, humans need 2.7 – 3.7 liters of water each day. Since food accounts for 20% of a person’s fluid intake, that means that a person needs to consume about 2 0 3 liters of water or about 8 – 10 glasses each day. People who are well-hydrated should have a clear or slightly yellow urination. Those suffering from dehydration, on the other hand, have dry lips and mouth. They also seldom urinate.
2. Get enough sleep. People who don’t get enough rest usually compensate by eating unhealthy like junk foods. In order to get away from unhealthy eating and keep yourself awake, make sure to get enough rest. Also, lack of sleep can result in premature aging.
3. Make meditation a practice. Meditation is an activity that helps in calming the mind and soul. There are several ways for you to meditate. You just need to choose the one that works best for you.
4. Exercise regularly. Make exercise a daily habit. According to, daily exercise can provide a lot of benefits to our health, such as higher bone density, lowering the risk of diseases, and weight loss. Make sure to increase physical activities in your life. Instead of driving your car or taking the bus to work, you can just walk if you just leave nearby your office. Instead of taking the elevator, climb the stairs. Taking up a new sport or joining aerobic classes can also help improve your health tremendously.
5. Pick the exercise that you like best. Sports will come naturally if you like doing it in the first place. Exercise is not something you do just for the sake of it. It is all about keeping yourself healthy while having fun. To keep your workout routines interesting, add some variations in your exercises.
6. Put emphasis on the different parts of your body. When doing exercises, don’t focus on a single part of your body. It is not enough that you only do cardio as other parts of your body also needs a proper work out. The best of doing this is trying out various sports like Frisbee, basketball, swimming, football, tennis, badminton, and more.
7. Add fruits your diet. Fruits contain a multitude of vitamins and minerals. Do you know that oranges provide more health benefits than a pill of Vitamin C supplement? It is essential that you consume your vitamins and minerals from your daily diet. Fruits such as apple, apricots, watermelon, grapefruit, guava, strawberries, and a lot more, can greatly boost your immune system.
8. Don’t skip your vegetables. Similar to fruits, vegetables can greatly improve your health. According to experts, it is advisable that you consume 5-9 servings of fruits and vegetables on a daily basis. However, most people don’t even consume 5 servings! Vegetables like asparagus, black beans, sprouts, button mushrooms and long beans are just some of the best vegetables out there. What are your favorite vegetables and how do you usually integrate them into your diet?
9. Go with bright-colored foods. Bright-colored fruits and vegetables are rich in antioxidants, a substance that aids in the removal free radicals in our body. Free radicals are known to be highly damaging to our cells. Yellow fruits like pineapples and mango, orange fruits like orange and papaya, red fruits like apple, tomatoes and watermelon, greens like guava, lettuce and celery, are all beneficial to your health.
10. Limit the consumption of processed food. Processed foods refer to anything that is not in its raw form and are usually preserved for future consumption. Generally, most foods sold in the supermarket are processed. When you check the label, you will see that these foods have ingredients with “ite” and “ate” suffixes. These foods are detrimental to your health because the majority of the food’s nutritional value is lost in the manufacturing of these foods and the preservatives can also result in adverse effects to your health. Most processed foods come with tremendous salt content, which can result in heat disease and higher blood pressure.
11. Love yourself. From a scale of 1-10, how much do you care for yourself? Why? How can you love yourself from this day onwards? These are just of the questions you need to ask yourself.
12. Walking/running barefoot. Recently, several studies have been conducted about the benefits of walking and running barefoot. It has been shown that doing so can result in better posture and relieves stress from your feet and joints.
13. Remove negative people from your life. One of the essential aspects of a healthy life is having a positive mindset. People who provide nothing but negativity to your life ought to be removed from your life. If someone you know is being negative or overly critical of your thoughts and actions, it is the right to let him or her go. Backstabbers are also people do not provide any value to your life.
14. Have a positive mindset. Listen to the thoughts that linger in your mind and stay away from negative thoughts as much as possible. An unhappy person tends to binge eat which can lead to an unhealthy lifestyle. By having a positive outlook in life, you can cut out your dependence on food for happiness.
15. Process negative thoughts. An effective way of getting rid of negativity from within is practicing brain dumping exercises when frustration sinks in. You can jot down your deepest thoughts on a piece of paper so you can deal with them one by one. It is unhealthy to keep pent up emotions deep inside you.
16. Stay away from trigger foods. Trigger foods are foods that can make people binge eat like crazy and go berserk. Each person’s triggers foods vary from one another. There are those who get triggered by eating chips, doughnuts, and pastries. Generally, triggers foods are anything with high fat, salt, and sugar content. Consuming more of these foods can cause a blood sugar imbalance; hence triggering you to binge eat. Have you identified your trigger foods? If you have already identified which foods trigger you, eliminate them from your diet right away.
17. Take deep breaths. Oxygen is an essential life source. You may be freely breathing, but are you doing it properly? Majority of us don’t breathe properly as we usually breathe a third of our lung capacity. Athletes, on the other hand, have mastered proper breathing through proper techniques and coaching. Proper breathing means you need to fill your lungs completely, letting your abdomen expand and there should be minimal movements in your shoulders.
18. Deal with emotional eating problems. In order to fill up their empty emotions, some people turn to emotional eating. Do you compensate stress and frustration by eating? Do you turn to food when you hit a bump at work? Chances are, you are going through emotional eating. However, emotional eating does no good to your health since you are just trying to fill the void that has nothing to do with food in the first place. Get to the root cause of your emotional eating issue and find ways to deal with it as soon as possible.
19. Go with small meals. Rather than eating a few big meals a day, it is healthier if you eat several small meals throughout the day. Basically, you should only eat when you feel hungry and stop as soon as you already feel full. See tip #20 for more information. Be mindful of what your body tells.
20. Know when to stop eating. It is common for many people to depend on external cues to tell them to quit eating. People tend to stop eating once their plate is empty or other people on table have finished eating. These cues do not have anything to do with the way you eat, though. There is no need to continue eating if there is still food on the plate. If you feel you about ¾ full, it is time for you to stop eating. Listen to your gut!
21. Eat brown carbs rather than white. Refine grains like pasta, white rice, crackers, white bread, noodles, tortillas and anything with white flour and breading are good example of white carbs. These foods can spike your sugar level. In order to keep sugar level in check, you need to go with brown carbs such as brown rice, oats, whole grain, and legumes. Brown carbs are known for their high nutritional value.
22. Find a purpose for your life. You need to start from within for positive health. Have you been living your life with purpose? People who have lived their life with a purpose for a long time are happier than those who did not.
23. Reduce on oily foods. Cut down your intake of fast foods such as burgers, donuts, fries, wedges, and other deep fried foods. Not only these foods have high calorie content, they also come with acrylamide, a chemical that can cause cancer. According to a report by BBC, a bag of chips may contain up to 500 times more substance allowed by the World Health Organization in drinking water. Also, people who usually eat oily foods complain a feeling of sluggishness. Better alternatives for oily foods are grilled, stir-fried, steamed or even raw foods.
24. Cut down your sugar intake. Sugary foods like cakes, chocolates, cookies, pastries, and jelly donuts are rich with sugar. These foods do not fill your stomach, but it only triggers you to eat more. Go back to tip # 16 for trigger foods.
25. Organic is the way to go. Organic foods are foods that do not contain synthetic ingredients like chemical fertilizers and pesticides. Inorganic or processed foods usually have genetically modified organisms, chemical food additives, or industrial solvents. The organic movement is gradually gaining momentum in the past few years, with more supermarkets, especially in the US, providing consumer organic options. Organic foods are more expensive, but would you rather compromise your health for a few bucks?
26. Work on your posture. You can greatly improve your breathing through proper body posture. It also helps in boosting your self-esteem as it makes you look confident, smart and more attractive.
27. Limit the intake of soda and caffeine. Caffeinated drinks like coffee and soda are known to be diuretics, meaning they can make you urinate too often. Caffeinated drinks do not hydrate you as much as regular water can. Moreover, soda is also unhealthy since it is an artificial stimulant and can also cause obesity. Ditch the caffeinated drink and go for water or vegetable juices instead!
28. Keep tabs of your alcohol intake. Just like caffeine, alcoholic drinks are also diuretics. Aside from that, alcohol has adverse effects on your body. It can impede the natural functions of your internal organs like your brain, lungs and liver. To keep your body in top shape, you need to stop drinking alcohol. If alcohol is something you can’t avoid due to any circumstance, at least, drastically reduce your alcohol intake.
29. Make preparing your own meal a habit. You can easily control what you put into your meal if you prepared it yourself. You don’t need to deal with problems choosing between eating healthy and settling for sub-optimal food choices. Getting some quality kitchen equipment to help prepare your own home-cooked meal is also a worthy investment.
30. Learn to say no. when you are out with family or friends, learn to decline more food if you don’t feel like you need to eat more. Simply say no and decline the food if you are not hungry.
31. Don’t forget to bring a water bottle when going out. Bring a water bottle wherever you go will allow you to replenish your fluids. It is also cheap and healthy as you don’t need to settle for water alternatives like soda or energy drinks.
32. Settle for a low-calorie, low-fat food options. Foods like yogurts, soy milk, salad dressing, spreads and low-fat ice cream are just few of the best options. However, you still need to check the label as some foods marketed as “low or non-fat” may actually still be unhealthy.
33. Quit smoking. It is already a given fact that smoking is dangerous to your health. Smoking is a habit that can increase the risk of heart attack, kidney cancer, lung cancer, and more. Some people switch to light cigarettes thinking that they are less dangerous, but that is not the case. Bottom-line, you need to quit smoking for good, not just for yourself but for your family and friends. If you are already a non-smoker, don’t attempt to light a stick of cigarette and stay that way for good.
34. Avoid secondhand smoking. Passive smoking or secondhand smoking is an act of breathing in smoke from smokers. Passive smoking is also as dangerous as direct smoking. According to the studies conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there is no such thing as risk-free level of secondhand smoking. A brief exposure to cigarette smoke can be harmful to your health. As much as possible, stay from people who smoke.
35. Eat healthy snacks. Healthy snacks like salads, fruits, and vegetable juices are good for you. These foods are rich in nutrients and don’t spike your sugar level. When you already have your fill and just wants to get a quick munch, these healthy food alternatives are the best choices. Cookies and candy bars may be delicious, but they provide little nutritional value.
36. Drink fruit and veggie smoothies. Smoothies are the best way to get vitamins and nutrients on-the-go. Making a smoothie is fast and simple. Throw your favorite fruits and veggies into the blender, turn on the machine, wait for 30 seconds, and you got your very own smoothie! When making a fruit smoothie, it is best to you use a blender rather than a juicer. The latter removes the fiber of the fruit, thus, increasing your sugar level. On the other hand, a juicer is best for vegetables as veggie smoothies are best drank without the fiber. Doing so allows you to drinks the nutrients directly from the juice. Juices and smoothies work hand-in-hand. Drinking juices lets your digestive system catch a break while smoothies aid in better digestion.
37. Get regular checkups. Most symptoms of many diseases do not show up until it’s too late. This is why it is important that you have yourself checked on a regular basis. Just like how you take tests in school, you also need to undergo health testing for your health. Some of the standard tests you can request from your doctor are blood and urine tests. There are other more elaborate tests for women like mammogram and PAP smear. If the tests turn out to be not optimal, this means you need to take precautionary measures. If you happen to have a doctor who dissuades you from doing these tests, you might as well get a second opinion from another doctor.
38. Go for a vegetarian diet. To make things clear, being vegetarian does not necessarily mean that you are already healthy as there are vegetarians out there who can still be categorized as unhealthy.
39. Try a vegan diet. A vegetarian is a person who does not eat animal or any foods derived from animals like cheese, dairy, eggs, honey, or milk. Vegans are very strict when it comes their diet, especially the society we live in relies more on a meat-heavy food culture. However, there are certain vitamins and minerals that vegans tend to lack. In order to compensate for lack of calcium, creatine, iron, Omega 3 and protein, vegans needs to eat the right veggies and take supplements.
40. Get yourself into a raw vegan diet. Someone who is raw vegan only eats non-processed, raw vegan foods such fruits, nuts and vegetables. Notice the progression from vegetarian to vegan to raw vegan diet is gradually going towards naturally occurring foods. Some of the benefits of switching from veganism to raw veganism are weight loss, increased youth, and other countless health benefits. Today, raw veganism is something hard to come by since the society is highly dependent on a highly-processed, meat-dependent diet. With that said, it does not mean that you cannot experiment with food. There are some people who felt more energized after trying out a 21-day raw vegan diet. For instance, there are foods which are uncommon in your diet that do not contain these vitamins and minerals. A vegetarian or vegan diet may be healthy but it lacks certain vitamins and minerals such Omega 3 and Vitamin B12. The gaps can easily be filled by taking supplements. Get a general health checkup so you’d be able to know the gaps in your diet and to know which vitamins/minerals you are lacking. If you see that your vitamin deficiency is something that your diet cannot address, turn to supplements.
41. If necessary, supplement your diet. Even if we go on a healthy diet, there are still some vitamins and minerals that we may lack.
42. Get out more often. Having regular 9-5 job will require you to stay in your office without much of physical activity and fun. During weekends, you will most likely be out on errands and other house chores. At least once a week, get some sun and try to go out with your friends. A change of environment would be beneficial for your body and soul.
43. Practice proper dental hygiene. Proper hygiene does not only make you feel and look attractive, it is also linked to good health. For a good dental hygiene, brush your teeth twice a day, floss your teeth at night, and rinse your mouth with an antibacterial mouthwash.
44. Join physical classes. There are many courses out there that you can try. Joining aerobics classes, dance classes, scuba diving, and tennis classes can do wonders to your health. Signing up for these courses lets you socialize with a new group of health-conscious individuals.
45. Spend time with healthy people. It is said that you are the average of the five people you hang out with. This means that the more you spend time with healthy people, the healthier you will be. Dine with people who are conscious of their health and find a workout buddy. Healthy living is more fun if you spend it with the right people!
Which of these tips are most applicable to you? These health tips are timeless and can serve as your future reference. Help your family and friends by sharing these tips to help them stay happy and healthy.